Sunday, March 8, 2009

Weekly Training Update 3

Monday M2: PM 76 minutes pool running followed immediately by 72 minutes (run up Dole Hill road with cemetery out and back and down on the snowmobile trail- new snow and treacherous ice)

Tuesday M2: AM 98 minutes running (run up the snowmobile trail and down Dole Hill Road with snowmobile trail out and back and cemetery out and back) PM 77 minutes pool running

Wednesday M3: PM 76 minutes of pool running followed immediately by 44 running (run to and from Grand Union- heave pack on the return trip)

Thursday M4: 44 minutes indoor cycling followed immediately by 76 minutes of pool running

Friday M5: PM 137 running (7 min WU/2 hours on the treadmill at 12% 10:00/mile 7603'/10 min CD followed immediately by 32 minutes of indoor cycling

Saturday M6: AM 112 running (run on roads in the Northfield Mountains- felt good) PM 82 cycling- nice and easy)

Sunday M7: PM 44 running (Hubbard Park and neighborhoods around MontP with PM) followed immediately by 128 minutes of cycling

Weekly totals:
8:27 running (46% of total)
4:46 cycling (26% of total)
5:05 pool running (28% of total)

18:18 total

Comments: ...probably a step down from the last two weeks in terms of volume (similar total time but a soft total with more cycling). A decent week none the less with lots of late nights spent working on a new lab meant that I slept in four out of five weekday morning workouts. I have got to stop that! This week had a few firsts for the year. Friday, I did my first treadmill workout of the year, Saturday, I did my first outdoor bike ride of 2009, and Sunday, I did my first run of 2009 with another human. It was great to be out riding in early March and I got two days of riding in. The highs a predicted to be in the 30s for the next week and so this may be the last riding that I do for a while. Oh well. The week's best workout was definitely Friday's treadmill workout; admittedly, it is difficult for me to convince myself that 10:00 pace sound impressive but I did manage to climb 7,603 feet (as a comparison, the PPA climbs 7,815'). Next week is spring break- this means that I will try to get my total up for the week and it also means that the pool is closed (smile).

3 comments:

  1. For me a closed pool means crankyness. And biking time isn't soft! Although I suppose 4 hours biking probably not comparable to 4 hours running in terms of the toll it takes on the body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good week Paul. Are you looking to get that kind of treadmill run to around the 9min/per range?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maija,
    If the pool is open, I feel compelled to get in. Having the pool closed means that I do not have to pool run (I kinda need a break anyway). You hit the nail on the head with both of your comments about "soft" bike time. That is exactly what I meant.

    Wynn,
    I will probably never get this particular run that fast. This is just go out and run 12% at a pace that I can manage comfortably for two hours. The purpose is to get me ready for higher intensity (and shorter) workouts in the future. I do not want to step on the treadmill for the first time and start hammering without some time spent at 10%+.

    ReplyDelete